REFERENCES AND NOTES
1. Huges,T. Shakespeare and the Goddess of Complete Being, Faber, 1992. p.33.
2. British Library Ms. 88918/12/4.
3. Hughes,T, op.cit. p.20-21.
4. British Library Ms. 88918/12/1.
5. British Library Ms. 88918/1/17. Inside the front cover of this book Ted has written “Begin today” and inscribed a symbol which looks like the Hebrew alphabet letter TAV (which means ‘The Seal of Creation’ and represents faith in Divine presence in the finite world. (https://www.inner.org/HEBLETER/tav.htm).
6. Carol Hughes believes that Ted bought the school exercise books from a sale at a local school in Devon in the early 1970s (letter from CH to AS, 30 April 2015). Roy Davids misreads 8S and 6S as 85 and 65 respectively in his valuable notes on the boxes sold to the British Library https://www.ted-hughes.info/uploads/media/The_Ted_Hughes_Archive_at_The_British_Library.pdf
7. Duczynak,I. and Polanyi,K.(Eds), The Plough and the Pen: Writing from Hungary 1930-1956, Translator: McRobbie,K., Introduction by W.H.Auden, who describes the poem as ‘one of the greatest poems written in my time’.
8. Weissbort,D. Ted Hughes: Selected Translations, Faber, 2006. p.24. Ted’s translation of Juhász’s poem is published in full; and the first lines of a translation made by David Wevill for Penguin’s Modern Europen Poets series in 1970, are included in an Appendix.
9. Huges,T. Tales From Ovid, Faber, 1997. p.108.
10. Graves,R. The White Goddess, Faber, 1977. pp.54 and 251.
11. Reid,C.(Ed.) Letters of Ted Hughes, Faber, 2007. p.394.
12. Reid, ibid. p.719.
13. The text of this hymn can be found on the website of Project Guttenberg at Guttenberg.org, under ‘Selections from Irish Poetry/ Religious Poems’.
14. Makkai, A.(Ed.), In Quest of the Miracle Stag: the Poetry of Hungary, Chicago: Atlantis-Centaur, 1996.
16. I trace this close relationship in detail in Birthday Letters: Poetry and Magic, at .//.
17. Hughes,T. op.cit. p.33.
18. Davids,R. Notes on the boxes sold to the British Library https://www.ted-hughes.info/uploads/media/The_Ted_Hughes_Archive_at_The_British_Library.pdf Note(xv), p.14.